Helping your kids set goals for the upcoming year can be a great way to encourage them to develop initiative, independence, and internal motivation. With the help of your Stuffies® and their seven secret pockets, it can also be fun!
In this New Year’s resolution activity, the entire family can participate. It’s a great way to not only set goals for the new year, but also bond together as a family and learn about each other.
1. Write out questions on individual slips of paper that might inspire goals for the next year. Here are a few examples:
- What is one thing you want to learn how to do?
- What is something you want to get better at?
- Who is someone you want to become better friends with this year?
- Where is some place you would like to go?
- What would you like to read this year?
- What household chore do you think you could help with more often?
2. Once you have enough questions, stuff them in the seven different pockets.
How to Play:
1. Gather the family together in the living room or around the kitchen table on New Year’s Day.
2. Identify one person to be the “goal keeper.” This person will be responsible for writing down each person’s goals.
3. Select one person to go first. Let him or her draw a question out of any of the Stuffie™’s pockets and answer it for the family. The rest of the family can chime in with their own answers to the question if desired.
4. Next, pass the Stuffie™ to the next person and let that person do the same thing until all the questions have been drawn.
5. When you’re finished, the goal keeper can give everyone their own list of goals for the year to hang in their room or display somewhere for easy access.
After your family sets their goals for the year, come back to this page and share a few as a comment on this post!